Monday, July 14, 2008

Firefighters to the rescue

I love the Books from Birth program that TN has. In fact, I'm thinking that most states have a similar program too! One of the more recent books Emery has gotten was a book titled "Firefighters to the Rescue" Well, last night we saw some firefighters in action!

Both girls have been sick again (love summer sickness!) and we stayed in all day yesterday. So, last night I needed out! We headed to our favorite patio place, McDougals. We ran into friends and enjoyed some good food. Suddenly the door to the inside of the restaurant was slung open and a guy was asking for a doctor- a little boy inside was choking!! Okay, so I'm not sure of the exact time, but it felt like 30 minutes that this little boy seemed to be stuggling. All of the mommas around me were teary eyed and stood with their hands covering our mouths. Jim was ready to jump out of his skin and even got testy with me because I really didn't know what to do to help. . The firetrucks and ambulance arrived and ran in and by the time they got there the boy was breathing but was very lethargic. They headed straight to the hospital. I heard someone else say that it was between 4-5 minutes that the little guy couldn't breathe. I have prayed constantly today that the little boy is okay. I've also spent time making sure I know how to react in case that is ever one of mine! So scary!

And on a sidenote, while all of this is going on, "Emery is saying repeatedly, firefighters to the rescue!" At least I know she is listening when I read to her.....

5 comments:

michelleandwalker said...

Okay, I suddenly feel the need to take a refresher course myself. So scary!

lyla said...

you guys always seem to witness crazy things! we need to steer clear or the byerlys! that is so scary and pitiful. i once witnessed a man choking like that in a chinese restaurant and it was so crazy and made me feel so helpless. i hope the little boy is ok :(

lyla said...

oh and the fact that emery kept saying "firefighters to the rescue" is totally hilarious.

chris anne said...

oh my goodness. that is so scary.

Brittney said...

that is so scary...one of my biggest nightmares!!!!